My Day as a CAD Dork

Advertisemen
The past few days have changed for this CAD Dork (CAD Geek or CAD Nerd are also acceptable terms). This past Friday I lost my job. It happens. It’s very annoying but it does. I’ll be fine so don’t worry.

The past two business days have been a bit different but also much of the same. I wake up at 5:15 a.m. (not my choice) to make sure my oldest child gets out of the house and doesn’t miss the bus. If this happens somebody has to provide a ride. I take this time to get myself ready for the day; shower, shave, put on some clothes and gather my things for the day. At 6 I wake my other child to get ready for school. If I have time I take a quick nap because 5:15 a.m. is a crazy time to get up. By 6:50 I’m dressed, walking the dog, getting breakfast, packing my lunch and am (or was) out the door by 7:30.
At work as a Senior Engineering CAD Tech for a civil engineering firm I was responsible for site design, potable water layout, waste water design, drainage design, site layout, as-builts, and any other drafting work. I was also the IT Manager there so if any tech broke I had to make sure it was fixed right away. Lucky for me we had an IT Consultant firm to do the heavy lifting. Once that happened if I couldn’t fix it in a few minutes I was able to delegate the problem. It made me much more billable.
Monday mornings and Fridays were often the most hectic. Monday was a day to do all of the things you put off last week. Friday meant there was a deadline to meet that the project manager promised to the client before consulting anyone else; at least it felt like that the majority of the time.



Now that I am “unemployed” I am still very busy. A few years ago I made it a goal of mine to not be so dependent on my employer for my income. That was a good call as my side projects have bailed me out many times. I call it Income Diversification. Is that a real thing because it sounds like it should be if it isn’t.

On the side I write for Sybex Publishing so I have that project to work on right now. Having 40+ more hours in the week now means I will be able to get ahead of schedule. I also create training videos for Infinite Skills and am in the beginning stages of a new project for them. I’m be able to get this done early too.

The past two days I have spent a lot of time working on my new resume. I don’t find this to be any fun. At first I produced a three page resume. I should it to Mrs. CAD-a-Blog and she said I need to make a few changes. I took her excellent advice and was able to shorten it considerably. Oh yeah the printer jammed ad wasn’t working properly. I was able to play IT Support again at home. I actually love doing this though so it was a good time.

I ran some errands today with my wife which was fun. I don’t get to do that while I’m at work.
I did manage to set up a job interview already so I have to prepare for that over the next few days.
For the rest of the day I worked on this article which is very different from what I typically write. I have found it to be a bit refreshing and a lot of fun. Several other CAD Bloggers are participating so do a search for #CADDork around your favorite social media sites. I am also going to work on some blog articles, notes for future articles, and research for future articles.

I love being a CADDork and a CAD Blogger. The greatest reward I receive for doing this (besides getting paid occasionally) is when people from around the world come to me with questions. I do what I can to help them out or to at least be able to point them in a general direction.

#CADdork
#AutoCAD

Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Gambar, artikel ataupun video yang ada di web ini terkadang berasal dari berbagai sumber media lain. Hak Cipta sepenuhnya dipegang oleh sumber tersebut. Jika ada masalah terkait hal ini, Anda dapat menghubungi kami disini.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments